Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Foundation and Chaos

Foundation and Chaos by Greg BearI've finally finished Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear. I started this book a while ago but had to interrupt reading when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. Then I went on a tangent and read The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow. I made up my mind to finish this book before I started on The Children of Hurin and thus I will have to wait until I get to the third book in this series.

This book (and the series) has been interesting so far but the subject matter is not what I'm in the mood for at this time. I thought it would be having just read a hundred or so light-reading Doctor Who books.

I did enjoy learning about the formation of the Second Foundation and of how robots figured into it. It's been a long time since I've read the Foundation and Robots books by Asimov so I can only remember the basics about these books. You don't have to know much about them to enjoy these books though since they do well as stand alone stories.

The story in this book takes place in Hari Seldon's later part of life. He is arrested and placed on trial for treason. A crux point for humankind is entered and the outcome will determine whether or not Hari can use psychohistory to minimize the downfall of the Empire. This is a good read and I'll rate it a 3 out of 5.

No comments: