Monday, July 09, 2007

Foundation's Fear

I have just finished the first book in the Second Foundation Trilogy authorized by the Isaac Asimov Foundation titled Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford. I got these three books from my Dad who picked up a few books that were being thrown out somwhere.  I was reluctant to read them because I liked the Foundation Series and the subsequent books Asimov published tying in these with the Robot Series.  I finally broke down and read the first one and was mildly surprised.  I enjoyed it.

These books are stories that take place during Hari Seldon's life and deal with his development of psychohistory.  This book in particular deals with his pre-Minister days leading up to his appointment as First Minister of the Empire.  This book shows us some of the interworkings of Trantor and the political struggles there.  The worries about the Empires fall and what can be done to prevent it.  It involves Daneel from the Robot books also as we learn a little (very little) about the pre-Empire days.  I would recommend reading this for any true Sci-Fi fan.

I have started on the second in the series: Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear.

No comments: